My husband and I went down to the hospital at 8:00 this morning, and headed to Labor and Delivery. Right away they weighed me on this big walk-on scale like they use for dogs and other large animals at the vet, which I thought was a really sensitive thing to do (did you hear the sarcasm?). I got a room and they did an ultrasound to make sure the baby was still in the wrong position, then put on some monitors to check its heartbeat.
They want to be ready for an emergency c-section in case something goes wrong, so the nurse put an IV-lead in my hand, and gave me a shot of a muscle relaxer to keep me from having contractions. Then the doctor covered my belly with ultrasound goo to make it slick, got one hand behind the baby's head and the other behind its butt, and started turning. The only pain was from the pressure of her fingers on my skin, and although it wasn't comfortable, it was definitely not as bad as I had expected. Halfway around she was going to stop for a few seconds, but I told her I was okay, and she turned him/her all the way around.
We are officially head down and feet up! The nurse told me it was one of the fastest and easiest ones she has seen.
Of course, right after all of the hard stuff was over, I started to feel like I was going to pass out or get sick (for anyone who knows, my blood pressure was down to 80 over 32!). Ice chips, a cold cloth, and some fanning took care of it though, so they just hooked me up to the baby monitor again for another hour and sent me home.
I am off to take a nap and relax, and maybe grade some tests later. I'll keep you posted.
How was the first day with Mrs. Martin? I hope you were nice to her!
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment